To create remarketing campaigns with Google Ads, you first need to connect Google Analytics 4 with your heyflow. To see how you can do this in combination with Google Tag Manager, please look into our integration guides: https://heyflow.help/en/articles/5506289-google-analytics-4-setup.
You also need a Google Ads account. If you do not have a Google Ads account already you can create one here: https://ads.google.com/home/.
Your Google Analytics 4 account and your Google Ads account should be registered with the same email address.
Before starting with our guide please make sure to enable the Google Analytics 4 retargeting settings under “Admin” and then “Data collection”.
In Google Analytics 4, you can define audiences, including visitors of your websites, by different relevant events. You might want to target visitors to your flow who did not submit their contact information, but visited the flow.. Visitors who already submitted their contact information and became leads will then not receive any recurring advertisements.
Follow the step-by-step guide below to learn how you can retarget your flow users with Google Ads:
1. When logged into your Google Analytics 4 property, navigate to “Audiences” on the left and click on “Create Audience” on the top right.
2. We recommend creating a “custom audience” in our use-case.
In the next step, you are able to include and exclude website visitors based on different data points. In our case, we want to include users who viewed at least one of our screens in the funnel and exclude users who have submitted lead information.
3. Therefore, we select the “niroflow_start”-Event under the event section by clicking on “Add new condition”. Our custom audience now includes all of our website visitors who started the funnel.
Next, we want to exclude all visitors who already submitted the desired information.
4. We do that by clicking on “Add group to exclude” and “add a new condition”. We define this condition as an event similar to the previous step and select “niroflow_submit_success”.
5. Name your defined audience group as you wish in the last part by clicking on “Untitled Audience” in the top left.
6. You can also limit your audience group to users who clicked on submit buttons on a specific screen by adding a parameter “page title contains SCREEN NAME”. The screen name is specified by you in the Heyflow application.
This is useful when you include several submit buttons to receive user information even when they did not convert into a lead or customer.
7. To connect your newly built audience with your Google Ads campaign switch to your Google Ads account.
8. After logging in, you are presented with your campaign overview. Click on “NEW CAMPAIGN” to create your advertising campaign and fill out the relevant information unique to your campaign.
After completing the initial campaign set-up, you are faced with the general settings of your campaign, where you can connect your custom audience build in Google Analytics 4.
9. Scroll down to the “Audience” section and click “Select audience to add to your campaign”.
10. Click on “Audience Manager”.
You can now view all of your previously created or imported audiences.
11. Within the audience manager, navigate to “Audience sources” on the left.
12. Select “Link to Google Analytics (GA4) and Firebase”.
After linking Google Ads and Google Analytics 4, you are presented with an overview of all your present Google Analytics 4 properties.
13. Search for your property containing your custom audience and click on “Link”.
14. It is important to enable the import of your Google Analytics 4 audience when being asked.
After linking the right Google Analytics 4 property, you can go back to the general settings of your ad campaign and select the audience you defined within your Google Analytics 4 property under the “Select audience” section.
15. Navigate to the “Browse”-tab and select “How they interacted with your business”. Next, select “Website Visitors” and then select your previously built audience.
Please note that it will take some time for Google Ads and Google Analytics 4 to connect and transfer the custom audiences.
You can set up different custom audiences and ad campaigns to target diverse groups of users based on their behavior. New visitors of your funnel will be assigned automatically to your custom audiences based on the filtering mechanisms you put in place. To personalize the advertising experience even further, try setting custom audiences based on location or demographics. With the combination of Google Ads and Google Analytics 4, you can target based on all collected data. Customize your audiences according to your offered products and services.