Google Analytics is currently making its shift from Universal Analytics (UA) to Google Analytics 4 (GA4). This guide will focus on creating both properties.
If you are new to Google Analytics 4 + Universal Analytics and have just finished naming your new account, skip to Step 4 - creating a new property.
1. Open Google Analytics and click Home in the left sidebar.
2. Click on Admin located at the bottom left corner of the window.
3. Click Create Property from the second column.
4. Enter all of the applicable details for your new property and click Next. (The property name is just an identifier, you can get creative!)
5. Click on Show Advanced Options.
6. Turn on the Create a Universal Analytics property setting by clicking the toggle button on the right. Then, enter your site's URL.
7. Select the first option: Create both a Google Analytics 4 and a Universal Analytics property. Then, click Next.
8. Enter the remaining optional information and then click Create.
9. You will then be directed to a screen that displays the Measurement ID for your Google Analytics 4. Copy the Measurement ID to clipboard and open your flow from go.heyflow.app.
10. Navigate to the Integrate tab at the top of the window
11. Next, click on the Analytics tab on the left side of the window
12. Under the Google Analytics 4 section, paste the measurement ID. Then click Save.
Make sure that there are no extra whitespaces before or after the ID in the text field after pasting it.
If saving the Google Analytics tag does not work, try to disable your ad blocker and try again.
13. Return to the home dashboard of Google Analytics. Click on the title of your property on the top left corner of the window to navigate to your UA property.
14. You are then presented with all the existing properties within your account. Under the Properties & App column, you will see that with every GA property, there will be a corresponding UA property with the same name. Click on that UA property.
15. Then, click on All Web Site Data that is located in the Views column.
16. Click on Admin located at the bottom left corner of the window.
17. Navigate to Tracking Info located in the Property Column. Then, click on Tracking Code.
18. You will then be presented with the Tracking ID for the UA property. Copy this to your clipboard and paste it to the Google Analytics (Universal) section of your flow in go.heyflow.app (see steps 6-8 again of this guide).
19. Once you have saved both IDs for Google Analytics 4 and Universal Analytics, click the Publish button in the top right corner to publish your flow.
Google Analytics will only work after you save the updated integrations and you have published your flow.
20. You can now analyze your flow using GA4 and UA by navigating back to the main dashboard of Google Analytics.
Great! You are now all set to use Google Analytics 4 and Universal Analytics for any reports or analysis of your data. Please allow 24-48 hours for the data to be collected and displayed in your Google Analytics dashboard.
You can also set up Google Tag Manager along with your GA4. Navigate to our Google Tag Manager Setup page for more details!